My people, in those days in our community, there were no educated people. It was the era of letter writing. When you received a letter, then you take it to either a primary school for a teacher to read it and explain the content to you or you take it to a chemist shop for it to be red to you.
One day, l received a letter. Since l can't read, l took it to our village primary school for a teacher to read it to me.
After the teacher had gone through it, he brought out seven long canes. He asked me to lie on a bench. He then flogged me on my bottoms twenty four strokes in the full views of all the villagers
It was so agonizing and embarrassing!
I couldn't say anything or challenged him because teachers were regarded and treated with the greatest respect.
I then took it to a chemist shop. The man looked at it for a few minutes and he brought two bottles of syrup and seven different brand of tablets. He asked me to drink the two syrup bottles immediately and in an hour later, l should take all the tablets at once. I did and immediately, l collapsed. I remained unconscious for eleven good days.
Thanks to traditional concoctions which resurrected me back to life. The traditional ruler of our community summoned both the teacher and the chemist shop owner. They brought the letter to the headmaster who red it out openly. It was from my uncle who was a doctor. It reads: My son, l learnt from your father that within twenty four hours, you eat different juicy fruits including sugarcane. it is not good, stop it.You are to take drugs to flush out the excessive sugar in your system. Yours sincerely uncle Patrick.
The teacher said that the reason why he flogged me was that once a letter is brought by any student means his or her parents want such a child to be flogged; especially when he saw the words such as twenty four and sugarcane.
The chemist shop owner said that he gave me the drugs because he saw words like different and drugs in the letter so he thought l need different drugs.
NA THERE I SHOUT SAY I GO DIE OOOO! Z
No comments:
Post a Comment